Black Country Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
headerimages helpadvice

About Our Staff

Below you can read about the various staff who may be giving you support while you are using our services. The kinds of staff you meet will depend on the service you are using. Some of the staff, like named nurses, only work in hospitals and others, like care co-ordinators, only work in the community. Other staff give specialised support in particular areas. Speech and language therapists, for example, work with older adults and adults who have learning disabilities and complex health needs.

Admin and Clerical Staff
Admin and clerical staff play an important role within each service area. They are the first point of contact in service areas, both on the telephone and face-to-face. They look after reception areas; answer calls; take messages; type notes and other correspondence; file; carry out financial procedures; order stationery and other office supplies, and generally keep the office in a tidy and organised state.

Care Co-ordinator
Your care co-ordinator is the person responsible for organising your care if you are using one of our community based services. You will spend a lot of time with your care co-ordinator. Care co-ordinators are often either Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPNs) or social workers.

Chaplains give you spiritual, pastoral, and religious care, whether you have a religious or non-religious background. Chaplains can spend time with you one-to-one and in groups. Chaplains contribute to your care, and seek to promote respect for the uniqueness and importance of your beliefs and values.  

Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPNs)
Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPNs) are nurses who have had specialist training in community mental health and/or learning disabilities. They assess your needs and work out a programme of care for you, which can include medication, counselling, and therapy.

Counsellors work with you to resolve some of the emotional difficulties in your life. They usually do this by talking with you about your problems and feelings.

Dieticians provide advice and guidance about food and nutrition. They can help you with issues related to poor appetite, weight loss, weight gain, vitamins, and food supplements.

Drug Workers
Drug workers treat and support you if you have an alcohol or drug dependency. Drug workers come from a variety of professional backgrounds and can provide support in a number of ways.

Family Therapists
Family therapists are professionals such as social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and psychotherapists who have done specialist training. Family therapists work with you and your family to help you understand and deal better with problems that you may be going through as a family.

Health Care Support Workers
Health care support workers work with you if you are experiencing a severe and long-term mental health problem. They build a close relationship with you and are there for you in daily life. They focus on you as a whole person, looking at both your health and social needs.

Named Nurse
Your named nurse is the person responsible for your care if you have to go into hospital.  The named nurse is the person you will have most contact with, and the person you can talk to if you have questions about your care.  A second nurse will have responsibility for your care when your named nurse is not on duty.

Occupational Therapists
Occupational therapists help you to learn or re-learn the skills you need to do everyday activities, such as cooking, doing hobbies, and doing paid or unpaid work.

Pharmacists are trained experts in drugs and medicine. They are legally allowed to supply you with drugs and medicine, should you need them. They may work in hospitals, GP surgeries, or chemists' shops in the community.

Physiotherapists can boost your self-confidence and well-being by helping you to improve your physical health and mobility and recover from injury.

Psychiatrists are doctors specialising in mental health problems. They are able to diagnose your problem and give you medication for it, and play a key role in organising someone‚Äôs overall care.

Psychologists use their specialist knowledge and skills to help reduce your distress and to enhance and promote your wellbeing. They offer various kinds of therapy one-on-one or in groups. These kinds of therapy involve talking about your personal experiences and exploring new ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving. 

Speech and Language Therapists
Speech and language therapists work with people with learning disabilities and older people who have communication and/or eating, drinking, and swallowing needs. They support people to understand what is happening around them and communicate their needs. Speech and Language Therapists also work with children and young people who have difficulties with communication and/or feeding and swallowing.

Social Workers
Social workers give you help, advice, and information on practical problems related to mental health, such as benefits or housing. They can also offer counselling and emotional support.

Support Time and Recovery Workers (STAR)
Support Time and Recovery Workers (STAR) support you in order to promote your recovery and enable you to stay in your community environment.